I am an independent safeguarding trainer with twenty years of experience, working with early years, schools, safeguarding partnerships and Social Care departments.
- I have an excellent reputation and my training is relevant, interesting and engaging.
- I am a qualified social worker and qualified in 1990 (and am currently on the Social Work England website). This means I have worked and understand how to connect with families who often have complex issues, understand the obstacles to partnership; can appreciate the difficulties of day to day challenging experiences to achieving outcomes and can understand the process of direct work with children and families.
- I have worked in Women’s Aid organisations (Scotland and London) for domestic abuse, which is an area that is integral to understanding safeguarding;
- I have also worked for the Single Homeless Project in London (working with substance misuse, trauma and mental health issues);
- I have been training since 2000 across London, Essex, and Reading (mainly).
- I currently offer clinical supervision to two teams of family support workers in Southwark on a regular basis.
- I also attended the first year of communicating with children at the IATE (institute for arts, therapy and education). This course taught me how to facilitate direct work.
I am an independent trainer and currently provide a range of safeguarding courses which can be tailored to meet the needs of a particular team/organisation.
I cover a wide range of safeguarding subjects, using a trauma informed approach (awareness of ACEs) within all of my courses. These courses are developed and kept up to date in terms of material and legislation. I work mainly in and around London and would be happy to travel to other parts of England.
I cover training on:
- Safeguarding levels 2/3/4.
- Working with parents using direct work tools at an early stage;
- Understanding domestic abuse, substances and mental health and impact on families;
- Working with diversity – race, culture and faith systems in safeguarding;
- Understanding attachment, trauma and brain development and application to practice;
- Understanding sexual abuse and grooming;
- Working with neglect and emotional abuse;
- Recording and report writing;
- Working with difficult to engage families;
- Understanding child safeguarding practice reviews and risk;
- Team building.
Reading Borough Council have used Rahana Hussain to deliver an Advanced Assessment & Analysis course for about 7 years now. The training has always been really well received by the staff who attend, often with such feedback as "it's the best course I've been on". I have always found Rahana to be very helpful and flexible in her approach to training adapting what she delivers to fit our needs. I would have no hesitation to recommend her to others. I hope this helps bit if you have any specific questions you would like me to answer please feel free to email me.
Linda Grover Learning & Workforce Development Officer Reading Borough Council
I wanted to say thank you so much for the course last Friday. It was extremely informative and left me feeling much more confident in my role as deputy safeguarding lead. I also found it really enjoyable, if a little emotional at times to be honest. It was great to have training where the theoretical and procedural is linked to the internal humanity of victims and abusers and what goes on in their worlds, psychologically and emotionally. Make for a much deeper understanding of the issues so thanks again very much.
Alex Thrall: Harris Primary Academy, Shortlands, London.
Rahana has been delivering training for the Greenwich Safeguarding Children Board for over five years. She was recommended to us by another LSCB. Rahana is a very experienced and knowledgeable trainer. Her training sessions are well prepared, interactive and well received by participants. We always receive positive feedback from those who attend training sessions delivered by Rahana. Her delivery style is engaging and inclusive. She is also able to work with diverse groups and practitioners from a range of professional backgrounds. Here are some quotes from those who attended training delivered by Rahana: There was a lot to go through in one day. But Rahana delivered it well and it didn’t feel too rushed. Excellent delivery! Extremely knowledgeable. A lot covered in short space of time but inspires further research. Amazing trainer able to engage & motivate the group. Showed different methods & angles of looking & listening in difficult situations Absolutely brilliant, Very good open dynamics and if anything, it was just too short. Good presentation of info in a variety of ways Brilliant Trainer! Insightful & very experienced. Would definitely access further training by her. Rahana was very good at keeping us proactive with group work & discussions. Great delivery - relaxed, informative & very clear. I really want to attend more courses with Rahana as facilitator. Rahana knows her stuff.
Dan Timariu GSCB Manager Greenwich Safeguarding Children Board